PARCC Reading Comprehension Practice Test story 4
20. Sir Francis Drake added wealth to the treasury and diminished Spain's _________.
20. A: "Supremacy" means unlimited power, not unrestricted growth (B). The passage states that Drake diminished Spain's supremacy, but does not specifically mention diminishing its territory (C). Drake's raids enriched England and reduced Spain's power; no mention is made of eliminating any treaties (D).
21. King Philip recruited many ______ soldiers and sailors.
21. B: "Robust" means strong. It does not mean warlike (A), accomplished (C) or competent, timid (D) or fearful, or inexperienced (E).
22. The ______ Armada set sail on May 9, 1588.
22. B: "Martial" means warlike or war-related. It does not mean complete (A), independent (C), or isolated (D).
23. The two battles left the Spanish fleet _________.
23. C: "Vulnerable" means open to attack or susceptible to harm. It does not mean open to change (A) or receptive, triumphant (B) or victorious, defeated (D) or beaten-they were vulnerable to attack first and then consequently were defeated-or discouraged (E), i.e. disheartened or dispirited.
24. The Armada was ______ on one side.
24. A: The passage indicates the Armada was "blocked" on one side, i.e. closed off rather than damaged (B) (it was damaged extensively, not on one side); alone (C) or circled (D), i.e. surrounded, neither of which can be done on only one side.