PARCC Grade 3 ELA Practice Test Questions
1. Which of the following choices names the foods that bats eat?
1. B: The story lists the things different kinds of bats eat, including mice, blood, fish and insects.
2. Where do bats NOT live?
2. B: Bats live everywhere where there are plants. For that reason, the only places you will not find bats are Antarctica and the North Pole, since those areas are too cold for plants.
3. Which of the following are ways that bats are helpful to people? Select all that apply.
Please select 2 correct answers
3. I, IV: The ways that they help people are discussed in the last paragraph. Some of the other answer choices are discussed in the story, but are not mentioned as ways that bats help people.
4. Fill in the blank in the following sentence. Bats are the only mammals that ____________.
4. D: In the story it is stated that, "They are the only mammals that fly."
5. Look at the diagram below about flying foxes and vampire bats, and then answer the question that follows. Which of the following belongs in the blank?
5. D: The space in the middle of a Venn diagram lists the components that the two sides of the diagram have in common. Both kinds of bats only come out at night.
6. What is the title of this article?
6. A: The title is the straight, solid name under the name of the publication. It is specific to the article, whereas "Animal Times" is more general and refers to the title of the publication, not the article.
7. Which of the following is a trait that most bats in North America have?
7. C: In the first paragraph it states that "Most bats in North America eat insects that they catch in the air with their teeth." The story does not say anything about bats that come out in daytime, and the other traits belong to different species of bats.