Border Patrol Agent Practice Test

0%

Crimes are frequently classified as either malum in se-inherently evil-or malum prohibitum-criminal because they have been declared as so by a legislature. The former is exemplified by murder. The failure to file a tax return is an example of the latter. Although some jurisdictions still distinguish between crimes of malum in se and crimes of malum prohibitum, others do not.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer A - This question is concerned with classification of crimes into sets-that is, with the classification of crimesas either in se or malum prohibitum. The last phrase in the last sentence tell us that many jurosdictions make the distinction, some jurisdictions make the distinction. From the fact that many jurisdictions make the distinction, it cannot be inferred that many do not make the distinction. Therefore, Response B is incorrect Response C, D, and E are based on erroneous definitions of the two classes of crimes. The paragraph tell us that all crimes characterized as amlum in se are inherently evil. Respone D is false because it cannot be the case that SOME crimes characterized as malum in se are NOT inherently evil. The paragraph also tell us that all crimes characterized as malum prohibitum are declared as offense by a legislature. Respose E is false because it cannot be the case that SOME crimes characyerized as malum prohibitum are NOT declared by a legislature to be an offense. In the paragraph, we are old that filling a tax return late is malum prohibitum, rather than malum in se. Response D is incorrect because it cannot be the case failing to file a tax return is malum in se.

A trucking company can act as a common carrier-for contract to the common open at distributed rates. As a common carrier, it is obligated for any cargo damage, unless the company can show that it was not negligent. On the off chance that the company can illustrate that it was not negligent, at that point it is not liable for cargo damage. In contrast, a contract carrier (a trucking company contracted by a shipper beneath a particular contract) is as it were dependable for cargo damage as spelled out within the contract. A Claus Inc. tractor-trailer, acting beneath common carrier specialist, was in a 5-vehicle accident that damages its cargo. A Nichols Inc. tractor-trailer, acting under contract carrier authority, was included within the same accident and its cargo were also damaged.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer D - The second sentence states that the liabilty rule for common carriers: all common carriers are liable for cargo damage unless they can show they are not negligent; if they can show that they are not negligent, then they are not liable fo cargo damage. Claus Inc. is a common carrier, and accordingly this rule applies to it. From this rule it follows taht if Claus Inc. can show it was negligent, then it is not liable, Response D. Response B contradicts this rule by claiming that when Claus Inc. is liable it can show that it was not negligent. Response C contradicts this rule by claiming that when Claus Inc, is not liable even when it cannot show that it is not negligent. Response E and A concern Nichols Inc., a contract carrier. However, the terms of the Nichols Inc. contract were not disclosed in the paragraph, so neither response is supported.

A Quickly changing technical environment is advancing greater dependence on electronic mail (mail) systems. As this utilization develops, there's expanding conflict between the users? desires of security and public access rights. In a few examinations, get to all mail, counting those messages put away in authentic records and messages exterior the scope of the examination, has been looked for and allowed. In show disdain toward this, a few people send messages through email that would never be said face-to-face or written formally.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer: C - This is an example of a test question with a negative lead-in statement. It ask for the conclusion that is NOT supported by the paragraph. That mean that four of the statements are valid conclusions from the paragraph while one is not. Response A (some messages that people would never say face-to-face are sent in e-mail messages) is a valid conclusion because it restates a fact given in the last sentence of the paragraph. Response B (some e-mail messages contain information that would be omitted from formal writing) is valid it restates the other fact in the last sentence of the paragraph. The next-to-last sentence in the paragraph is the source of both response E (some e-mail messages have been requested as part of investigations) and response D (e-mail messages have not been exempted from investigations). Both of these choices restate information in the sentence, based on the fact that access to e-mail messages was sought and granted. this leaves only the first option, response C (some e-mail messages that have been requested as part of investigations have contained messages that would never be said face-to-face). This is the only choice that does NOT represent a valid conclusion, because even though we know from the paragraph that there is a group of e-mail messages that are requested in investigations and also taht there are group of messages that contain information that people would not say face-to-face, there is nothing that says that these groups overlap. we simply do not know.

Phyllis T. could be a former Government representative who was entitled to benefits beneath the Government Employee Compensation Act since of job-related, impairing harm. When an eligible Government employee has such harm, the advantage is decided by this test: in case the recipient is hitched or has dependents, benefits are 3/4 of the people's compensation at the time of the harm; something else, benefits are set at 2/3 of the compensation. Phillis T.'s benefits were 2/3 of her compensation when she was injured.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer: A - This question concerns an either/or situation. The paragraph states that benefits under the Federal Employees Compensation Act are awarded at one level (3/4 of salary) if a beneficiary is married or has dependents when injured and at another level (2/3 of salary) if this is not true. Phyllis T is eligible for benefits under the Act. The paragraph states that Phyllis T . benefit level was 2/3 of her salary. Given this benefit level, it is clear that Phyllis T did not meet either of the conditions for the 3/4 level.

A few 480,000 immigrants were living in a certain nation in 1999. In spite of the fact that most of these immigrants were not utilized in proficient occupations, numerous of them were. For instance, numerous of them were engineers, and numerous of them were nurses. Exceptionally few of these workers were curators, another professional occupation.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer: D - Response E is correct because it restates the third sentence in terms of the overlap between immigrants and engineers in the country described in the paragraph. response C says that most immigrants are not employed in professional occupations, so Response C is also false. Response A is false because it denies that there is any overlap between immigrants and nurses, even though this overlap is clear from the third sentence of the paragraph. Response B is false because it denies the overlap between immigrants and engineers. Because the paragraph does not give complete information about the non-professionals (immigrants and nonimmigrant) in the country described in the paragraph, Response E is invalid.

Impressions made by the ridges on wants of the fingers and thumbs are valuable implies of identification, since no two people have the same design of ridges. In case finger patterns from fingerprints are not decipherable, then they cannot be classified by common shape and form or by design sort. In case they cannot be classified by these characteristics, at that point, it is incomprehensible to recognize the individual to whom the fingerprints belong.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer : A - This question ask for the response option that cannot be validly concluded from the information in the paragraph. The only response option that cannot be validly concluded in Response A, so the correct answer is Response A. Response A is invalid because the paragraph does not provide enough information to conclude whether or not it would be possible to identify the person to whom the fingerprint belong from the mere fact that the fingerprint are decipherable.

Explosives are substances or gadgets able of creating a volume of quickly extending gases that apply a sudden weight on their environment. Chemical explosives are the most commonly utilized, even though there are mechanical and atomic explosives. All mechanical explosives are devices in which physical response is created, such as that caused by overloading a holder with compressed air. Whereas atomic explosives are by distant the most powerful, all atomic explosives have been limited to military weapons.

Correct! Wrong!

Anwer: B - The correct answer is B. The third sentence states the overlap between all mechanical explosives and device in which physical reaction is produced, such as that caused by overloading a container with compressed air. From this, we can safely conclude that some devices in which physical reaction is produced, such as that caised by overloading a container with compressed air, are mechanical explosives. Response C is incorrect because the paragraph does not provide sufficient information to validly conclude that all explosives which have been restricted to military weapons are nuclear weapons. It may be that some types of explosives other than nuclear weapons also have been restricted to military weapon. Response A and D are incorrect becaise they contradict the paragraph. response A contradicta the third sentence, and Response D contradicts the last sentence.response E is incorrect because the paragraph provides no information about wether or not mechanical explosives are restricted to military weapons.

The alphanumeric coding of a fingerprint may be an efficient depiction of the print. Within a certain metropolitan area, 90% of the populace have fingerprints that can be alphanumerically coded.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer: B - We know the second sentence that 90% of the people in this district have fingerprints that can be coded. Therefore, we know that 10% (100%-90%=10%) have fingerprints that cannot be coded. Given this information, the chance of selecting a person from this district with fingerprints that can be coded is 90% and the chance of selecting a person from this district with fingerprints that cannot be coded is 10%. Response C is incorrect because a probability of 10% is an underestimate of the probability that the fingerprints of a person from this district can be coded. Response A is incorrect because, response B, is an underestimate. Response E is incorrect it is an overestimate of the probability that the fingerprint of a person from his district cannot be coded. response D is incorrect because the probability that the fingerprints can be coded is known to be 90%.

Twenty-five percent of the nation's approaching cargo holders are dispatched to the harbor of Cary, and 10% are transported to the harbor of Davidson. Merchandise that arrives at these ports in containers is dispatched by truck and rail to its last destination within the United States. Cary is one of the greatest targets for cargo thieves due to the huge volume of merchandise dispatched there.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer: B - According to the first sentence, 25% of the nation's incoming cargo containers are shipped to the port of Cary. This means that 75% of the nation's incoming cargo containers are not shipped to the port of Cary. Therefore, there is a 75% chance that the container taken at random was not shipped to the port of Cary. Responses A and D are incorrect because there is a 10% chance that the container was shipped to the port of Davidson. response E is incorrect because there is a 90% chance that the container was not shipped to the port of Davidson. Response B is incorrect because there is a 25% the chance that the container was shipped to the port of Cary.

In spite of the reality that HIV isn't effortlessly transmitted, its dangerous potential requires that law enforcement officers ensure themselves from getting to be tainted by it. At the Callen Precinct, officers utilize as were disposable items for collecting prove at whatever point blood is shown. Whereas examining a specific wrongdoing scene where blood was present, Detective R.C. of the Callen Precinct utilized as it were disposable things for collecting evidence.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer: E - The second sentence of the paragraph states that whenever blood is present, all officers at the Callen Precinct use only disposable items for collecting evidence. this is equivalent in meaning to answer E, that no officers use non-disposable items when collecting evidence in the presence of blood. Response A contradicts the second sentence in the paragraph by stating that some officers do not use disposable items exclusively when blood is present. response B, C, and D refer to the evidence-gathering procedure of Detective R.C., who is identified in the third sentence of the paragraph as working for the callen Precinct. Response B contradicts the sense of the second sentence by stating that Detective R.C. does not always use disposable items when blood is present. response C and D refer to RC's evidence gathering when blood is not present. However, the paragraph does not give us information about evidence gathering in that case.

The staff at the law enforcement training academy spends $32 on badges for all of the academy's graduates. The most recent class of officers graduated with 25 new officers. What is the total amount of money that the academy personnel will spend on badges for these new officers, assuming that the badges seller offers a 20% discount on each badge?

Correct! Wrong!

Answer D - $32 x 25 = 800; 800 x .2 = 160; $800 - 160 = $640. The second way to calculate the problem is, $800 x .80 = $640

A container inspected by an officer had a gross weight of 108 pounds of items in it. The officer was required by policy to convert this weight into kilograms. If the conversion formula is 1.8 pounds per kilogram, what was the gross weight of the container load in kilograms (rounded to the closest tenth)?

Correct! Wrong!

Answer D 108 divided by 1.8 - 60.0 kg

In a large mail container, an Agriculture Specialist and her dog discovered 1,500 items wrapped in plain brown paper. The officer discovered that some of the packages had valid CBP stickers while others had illegal stickers from another country when they were inspected. The ratio of legal to illegal stickers was 2:3. How many packages have illegal stickers?

Correct! Wrong!

Answer A - Legal stickers = 2/5; illegal stickers = 3/5 3/5 x 1,500 = 900.

Supervisor John understands how important it is for his CBP Agriculture Specialist to understand each of the fundamental principal that apply to all dog training methods.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer D - The correct use of the word "principles" refers to rules, laws, or standard that are applied to the method of dog training. By contrast, the word "principal" means first or foremost in importance.

It is important to include all dates, times, names, and quotes associated with the case in a report on a drug smuggling incident for future reference.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer D - The correct term is "associated with" and not "associated from". Objects are "associated with" one another, which means they are related to each other in some way.

Choose one sentence that is correct in grammar, syntax, punctuation, and spelling, and that demonstrates official letter or report usage.

Correct! Wrong!

The sentence should read as follows: The impact of this training will be measured by the number of new CBP Officers who successfully complete the probationary period. This is a well-constructed sentence in both grammar and syntax.

Officer Daven is in charge of his sector's canine teams. In his sector, fifteen canine teams are stationed. The majority of the canine teams are stationed along the border. Several canine teams are stationed in large urban areas far from the border. All teams must be available to travel to any duty station in the sector.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer E This question is about the canine team in Officers Daven's sector. According to the last sentence in the paragraph, all of the canine teams must be available to travel to any duty station within the sector. This is equivalent to saying that none of the teams are exempt from traveling to any duty location within the sector, Response E. Response A and D contradict the information in the last sentence. The third sentence in the paragraph inform us that the most teams are stationed along the border. Response B and C contradict this information.

The Chief of Police tries to offer excellent service to the community while maximizing the use of resources. As a result, when allocating resources, the Chief must consider various aspects. When a holiday weekend occurs, For example, additional staff are assigned to duty. However, if additional personnel are assigned to duty, they need special funding from the city council.

Correct! Wrong!

Answer A Combining the information in the last two sentences we know that if it is a holiday weekend, then special funding is needed from the city council (due to assigning additional staff to duty). Accordingly, if special funding is not needed, then it must not be a holiday weekend; otherwise, special funding would be needed. Responses B and D are false because they contradict the information in the paragraph. Responses C and E might be true, but they are not fully supported by the paragraph.

Following the Vietnam War, many people from Southeast Asia were granted indefinite immigration status in the United States. In 2003, a new rule was created to allow some of these persons to modify their immigration status. All Vietnamese nationals (and certain others, such as Cambodians) who were paroled into the United States through the Orderly Departure Program were entitled to petition for permanent residence status under the new rule.

Correct! Wrong!

Correct Answer A This paragraph is mainly about the group of Vietnamese Nationals who were paroled into the United States under the Orderly Departure Program with indefinite immigration status. In 2003, a new rule made everyone in this group of Vietnamese Nationals )and others) eligible to apply for permanent resident status. Accordingly, anyone who is not eligible to apply for permanent resident status must not be part of this group of Vietnamese Nationals, which is equivalent to Response A. Response B and D fail to recognize that others, such as nationals of Cambodia, were also eligible to apply for permanent resident status. Response C and E contradicts the information that everyone in the group of Vietnamese Nationals who were paroled into the United States under the Orderly Departure The program was eligible to apply for permanent resident status.

Officers discovered that many of the farm's employees were not permitted to work in the United States, despite the owner of the farm claiming that all of her Central American (for example, Salvadoran and Honduran) workers were working legally. Officers discovered that all of the female employees were working legally in the United States and that none of the illegal workers were from Honduras after checking their documentation.

Correct! Wrong!

Correct Answer B The last sentence of the paragraph states that none of the illegal workers were from Honduras, which is equivalent to saying none of the employees from Honduras were working illegally. Given that none working illegally, it must be the case that all were working legally. From the information in the paragraph, we know that all of the female employees were working legally and that all of the employees from Honduras was working legally. However, there is insufficient information to determine how many of the female employees were from Honduras. Therefore, Responses C, D, and E cannot be validly concluded. Response A contradicts the information that all of the female employees were working legally.

All state peace officers in one border state have the ability to issue state tickets for marijuana and paraphernalia offenses committed in their presence. A specific CBP sector in the state initiated a new operation with state police early last year. All sector canine handlers were cross-designated as state peace officers as part of this operation. It CANNOT be validly concluded from the above information that in the border state stated above,

Correct! Wrong!

Answer C It states that all peace officers have the authority to issue certain drug-related citations. Response C is invalid because it say only sector canine Question 21 is a negative lead item, so the correct response is the only response option that CANNOT be validly concluded. The first sentence that states that all state peace officers have the authority to issue certain drug-related citations. Response E is invalid because it says that only sector canine handlers have such authority. The first sentence states that all state peace have authority to issue certain drug-related citations; therefore, at least some who have authority to issue certain drug-related citations must be peace officers, Response C. The last sentence states that all sector canine handlers are state peace officers; therefore, all sector canine handlers have the authority to issue drug-related citations because the handlers are state peace officers, Response B. Moreover, given that all sector canine handlers have authority to issue certain drug-related citations, it must be the case that at least some individuals who have authority to issue drug-related citations are sector canine handlers, Response D. Finally, given that all sector canine handlers have authority to issue certain drug-related citations, it must be the case that no sector canine handlers lack authority to issue certain drug-related citations, Response E.

When an illegal alien is being "removed" the alien's passport in U.S. Government possession is returned to the issuing government, not to the illegal alien. If the illegal alien's departure is voluntary, the passport is allowed to be returned to the alien. The U.S. Government holds the passport of H.B., an illegal alien who must leave the country. It CANNOT be validly concluded from the above information that

Correct! Wrong!

Correct Answer B This question is a negative lead question, so the correct response is the only response option that CANNOT be validly concluded. According to the third sentence, if H.B.'s departure is voluntary, then the passport is allowed to be returned to H.B. Based on this information, Response B is invalid. Response A and E are both valid and are supported by the information in the third sentence that the passport is allowed to be returned to H.B.'s departure is voluntary. Response C and D are valid and are supported by the information in the second sentence that H.B.'s passport will be returned to the issuing government if H.B. is being "removed".

Recently, officers received leads from informants about possible illegal activity at La Rosita Park. When officers arrived at the park, they drove through the parking lots, looking for individual and vehicles matching their leads. The officers examined several suspicious vehicles, including many unregistered vehicles. All of the unregistered vehicles contained bundles of marijuana. No arrest have been made in connection with this incident. It CANNOT be validly concluded from the above information that

Correct! Wrong!

Correct Answer E The fourth sentence contains the information that all of the unregistered vehicles contained bundles of marijuana. Accordingly, if a vehicle did not contain bundles of marijuana, it could not be one of the unregistered vehicles that contained marijuana. Therefore, it can be deduced that all of the vehicles that did not contain bundles of marijuana were registered. Response A contradicts the information in the fourth sentence. Response B contradicts the information in the last sentence. Response C assumes that some of the registered vehicles also contained bundles of marijuana, but there is insufficient information to make this conclusion. Response D assumes that only unregistered contained bundles of marijuana, but it is insufficient information to make that conclusion.

When officers must physically force entry into a home, they are required to ensure that the home is in a secure condition when they leave. Failure to secure the home leaves the officers liable for loss of items from the home and/or damage to the home taht results from leaving the property unsecured. It is legal to break down door in order to gain entry, if that degree of force is determined by an officer to be necessary. If an officer force entry, the officer is required to take measures to minimize damage to the property. Officer Stoler need to gain entry into a suspect's home. It can be validly concluded from the above information that

Correct! Wrong!

Correct Answer E This question is a negative lead question, so the correct response is the only response caption that CANNOT be validly concluded. The first sentence in the paragraph states that when officers must physically force entry into the home, the officers are required to ensure that the home is in a secure condition when the officers leave. Response E contradicts this information in saying that Officer Stoler is not required to leave home in a secure condition. Thus, Response E is the correct response. Response B is valid and follows from the information in the fourth sentence. Response A and C are valid and follow the information in the first sentence. response D follows from the information in the third sentence and is valid.

Green cards authorize aliens to work in the United States. the cards have a ten-year expiration period. Application for a renewal of a green card can be made up to six months in advance of expiration. To apply for renewal of a green card, the applicant is required to apply in person and bring his or her current green card, application fee, and new photos. It may take one year for applicants to receive new green cards, but temporary documents are provided. It CANNOT be validly concluded from the above information that

Correct! Wrong!

Correct Answer A This question is a negative lead question, so the correct response is the only response option that CANNOT be validly concluded. Response A in invalid because it assumes from the information that all green cards are authorization documents that expire after 10 years that green cards are the ONLY work authorization documents that expire after 10 years. The fourth sentence states that all green card applicants must apply in person; therefore, an application that does not require applicants to apply in person cannot be a green card application, Response C. Response D is valid and is based on the information in the third sentence. The second sentence establishes that green cards have an expiration date, so Response B is valid. The last sentence says that sometimes it takes a year to receive a new green card, So Response D is valid.

Comments are closed.