1) ________ is to JUICE as WHEAT is to BREAD
An orange is used to produce juice like wheat is used to produce breaD) In addition, both wheat and oranges must be processed to produce the final product. This eliminates answer (A).
2) Does FAQ mean "frequently asked questions"?
Yes, FAQ is the acronym for “frequently asked question”.
3) ATTRACTION is the opposite of:
Attraction is a word used to describe the power of drawing, alluring or enticing while disgust is a word used to describe a feeling of loathing that causes aversion.
4) In the following set of words, which word does not belong?
A layman is a word used to describe a person who does not belong to a particular profession while the other words are all different professions.
5) DEVIATE AGITATE - The meanings of these words are:
To deviate is a word used to describe straying away from a course to agitate is a word used to describe disturbing, exciting, or angering someone or something.
6) If the first two statements are true, is the final statement true? Dave spoke with Sally. ; Sally spoke with John. ; Dave did not speak with John.
It is uncertain whether the last statement is true. The first 2 statements do not tell us anything about Dave talking to John, therefore we cannot know if it is true or not.
7) In the following set of words, which word does not belong?
Designation is the act of indicating, while the other words mean confirmation.
8) ________ is to CLEANING as MEDICINE is to CURING
Soap is used for cleaning as medicine is used for curing.
9) Which one has the biggest diameter?
The sun has a diameter over than 100 times larger than earth, which has a diameter larger than the all the other answers.
10) AFFLUENT WEALTHY - The meanings of these words are:
Both affluent and wealthy mean having a great deal of resources or money. Therefore, the words are similar in meaning.
11) If the first two statements are true, is the final statement true? Fair haired dogs live longer than black haired ones. ; Rocco is a fair haired dog. ; Rocco will live longer than Bonzo.
Because we do not know what kind of hair Bonzo has, we cannot know anything about his life span compared to Rocco. Therefore, the statement is uncertain.
12) START is the opposite of...
Start means "to begin," so the antonym is conclusion. Inception and origin are synonyms. Source is not relateD) Therefore, the correct answer is conclusion.
13) IMPERIOUS is the opposite of...
The word imperious describes an arrogantly domineering or overbearing person while a subservient person is extremely compliant and submissive.
14) In the following set of words, which word is different from the others?
Archaic is a word used to describe something that belongs to an earlier period of time, while the other words are used to describe sad and gloomy states of mind or facial expressions.
15) If the first two statements are true, is the final statement true? All dogs have a brown leg. ; Barky has a brown leg. ; Barky is a dog.
The fact that every dog has a brown leg doesn't mean that each creature with brown leg is a dog.
16) Which THREE of the following words have similar meanings?
Please select 3 correct answers
The correct answers are: (A) rapidly, (C) hastily, and (E) swiftly. All three words are adverbs that mean “quickly.” “Exceedingly” does not belong because it means “extremely.” “Eventually” is not related to speed but to chronological order; therefore, it does not belong.
17) In the following set of words, which word is different from the others?
All of the other answers are closely related to money, while drought is related to the weather/climate. This question is confusing because a drought can bring on financial difficulties to a country, causing inflation and debt, but a drought is simply a period of dry weather.
18) COMPLACENT COMPLIANT - The meanings of these words are:
Complacent and compliant both mean “pleasant.”
19) Arrange the following words to make a complete sentence What comes just before the word “by?”
The correct answer is (D). The sentence should read: “Mike managed to carry the suitcase by himself.” Therefore, the word that comes before the word “by” is “suitcase.” Solving tip: There is one capitalized word in this sentence and it is "Mike." Therefore, it is the first word in the sentence and it is the subject of the sentence. The following word after a subject will probably be a verb or a "to be" verb, thus the only word which fits afterwards is "managed." In addition, the word that comes after the word "by" has to be the word "himself."
20) Abundant is the opposite of:
“Abundant” is an adjective meaning “plentiful” while “meager” is an adjective meaning “not enough.” Therefore, the words are opposite in meaning. Answers (A), (D), and (E) are synonyms of "abundant." While answer (C) is related to "abundant," it is neither a synonym nor an antonym of it.
21) A shop owner bought some shovels for $5,500. The shovels were sold for $7,300, with a profit of $50 per a shovel. How many shovels were involved?
The total profit from the sale is the selling price minus the cost of purchase, which is $7300-$5500= $1800.If the total profit is $1800 and each shovel accounts for $50 profit, the amount of shovels is 1800/50=36.
22) There are three times elephants compared to giraffes in the safari. If there is a total of 88 elephants and giraffes, how many elephants are there in the safari?
If there are 3 times as many elephants as there are giraffes, giraffes can be defined as X, and elephants as 3X, and build the following equation: 3X + X = 88 ; 4X = 88 ; X = 88/4 ; X = 22. As stated above, X stands for the number of giraffes. Thus, there are 22 giraffes. As mentioned in the problem, there are three times as many elephants as there are giraffes in the safari. Thus, to find how many elephants there are in the safari, multiply the number of giraffes by 3: 22 * 3 = 66; 66 is the number of elephants in the safari.
23) What is the next number in the series? 5, 15, 10, 13, 15, 11, _____
The correct answer is (D). This series is made up of two separate subseries that alternate: 1. A series of numbers (the odd terms) that increase by 5 (5, 10, 15). 2. A series of numbers (the even terms) that decrease by 2 (15, 13, 11). The pattern is: 5, 15, 10, 13, 15, 11, ___ As you can see, the numbers that increase by 5 are bolded, and the numbers that decrease by 2 are underlined. We are missing the seventh number which is an odd term; therefore, it should be greater than the last odd term (the fifth number) by 5. The fifth number is 15. Thus, the answer is 15 + 5 = 20.
24) A car travels at a speed of 85 miles per hour. How far will it travel in 15 minutes?
An hour consists of 60 minutes. A quarter of an hour is 15 minutes as 15 * 4 = 60. Thus, divide the distance traveled per hour by 4, which is 85/4=21.25.
25) A car dealership sells used cars for $7,000 and new cars for $16,000. If a total of 17 cars were sold for $191,000, how many of the cars sold were used?
First of all, in order to simplify the calculations we can divide all the numbers by a common denominator: 1000, in that way we can get rid of all those annoying zeroes. Now we define the used cars as U (with a price of 7 each) and the new cars as N (with a price of 16 each) Now we can build two equations, the first representing the total price and the second the total amount of cars: A) 7U+16N=191 B) N+U= 17 So according to the second equation N = 17-U, and we can now substitute N in the first equation: 7U+16(17-U)=191 ; 7U+272-16U=191 ; 9U=81 ; U=9. 9 used cars were sold
26) Joey got a 25% raise to his salary. If his original salary was $1,200, how much was it after the raise was implemented?
25% equals one quarter and a quarter of 1200 is 1200/4=300. Therefore, an addition of a quarter to 1200 equals 1200+300=1500.
27) How many of the five pairs listed below are exact duplicates?
There are 2 exact duplicates: 6845 and 45641.
28) Sam and Edna have 56 marbles together. Edna has 6 times more marbles than Sam. How many marbles does Sam have?
If Edna has 6 times more marbles than Sam, we can define Sam as X and Edna as 6X, and build the following equation: X+6X=56, therefore X=8.
29) 17 out of 20 lung diseases are curable; what is the percentage of lung diseases that are curable?
In order to find out how much is 17 out of 20 in percentage, we need to reach a denominator of 100 (a percent is simply a fraction with a denominator of 100). In order to do this we multiply the fraction 17/20 by 5 and reach 85/100 which is 85%.
30) How many of the six pairs listed below are exact duplicates?
The exact duplicates are: 3356; 7776145; 865656; 71829
31) How many of the five pairs listed below are exact duplicates?
The exact duplicates are: LLO8761, ORR13726B
32) John's monthly salary is $7,000. If John deposits 0.75 of his paycheck into a savings account. How much money does he put in his savings account every month?
In order to find how much money he puts in his savings account, we need to find how much is 0.75 of $7,000. (75/100)×7000 = $5,250. Solving Tip: If multiplying 7,000 × 0.75 seems to be a bit too difficult, we can also use estimations and eliminate wrong answer choices. Let’s round 0.75 down to 0.70, while keeping in mind that the correct answer must be slightly larger than the result. 7,000×0.70=7,000×(70/100)=70×70=4900. Answers A and B can definitely be eliminated as they are too low. Since we only rounded down by 0.05, know that the correct answer will only be slightly larger than 4900. We can therefore conclude with fair certainty that C is the correct answer.
33) An oven can bake 8 pies of thin crust pizza per hour, or 2 pies of deep dish pizza pies per hour. How many hours will it take to prepare an order of 16 thin crust pies and 4 pies of deep dish?
Time = work/rate. In order to calculate how long it would take to prepare 16 thin crusts, we need to divide 16 by the rate of thin crusts per hour. 16 thin crust pies/8 thin crust pies per hour = 2 hours Similarly, to calculate how long it would take to prepare 4 deep dish pies, we need to divide 4 by the rate of deep dish pies per hour. 4 deep dish pies/2 deep dish pies per hour = 2 hours The number of hours it will take to complete the order is 2 hours + 2 hours = 4 hours.
34) John’s gross pay for the past month is $4687.24. If $421.78 was deducted from John’s gross pay, how much take-home pay did John earn this past month?
If John’s gross pay was $4687.24 and $421.78 was deducted from that amount, John’s take-home pay was: $4687.24 - $421.78 = $4265.46.
35) A motorcyclist rode between Flibbertown and Guinevill at a steady pace of 60 miles per hour for 2 hours. After two hours she accelerated to 65 miles per hour for another full hour. What is the distance between those cities?
In order to solve the question, we need to separate the two stages. The first stage is: the two-hour ride at a rate of 60 mph; the second stage is the one-hour ride at a rate of 65 mph. Let's put the information in a table: If we sum up the distance of both stages, we will find the distance between the cities. The first stage is calculated using the formula Time * Speed = Distance: 2 hours X 60 miles per hour=120 miles The second stage is calculated using the same formula: 1 hour X 65 miles per hour=65 miles Therefore, the total distance between the cities is 120 miles + 65 miles = 185 miles.
36) In the stock market, four different stocks have an average price of $100 per stock. The price of a Drone stock is $70. What is the average price of the three other stocks (not including the Drone stock)?
In order to calculate an average, we have to know the sum of the individual values, and the number of individuals. We know that there are four different stocks, so the number of individuals is four (Number of individuals). Now, find the sum of the prices of all the stocks (Sum of the individuals' value). We can calculate the sum of the group's value with the average of the values: sum of all values/number of values = average; sum of all the values/4 = 100 dollars; sum of all the values = 400 dollars The average of the 4 stock prices is $100, and therefore the sum of the stock prices is $400. If the value of the Drone stock is $70, we can conclude that the sum of the remaining three stock prices is $330. If the value of three of them is $330, the average price is $110. Quick tip: If an average is provided followed by the number of values, the sum of the values can be calculated. The sum is calculated as follows: Number of values X Average=Sum of the values.
37) The volume of a rectangle prism is 100 cubic inches. Which of the alternatives is its greatest possible length?
In order to answer the question correctly, we need to understand it. In order to find out the greatest possible size, we have to think in extremes. The volume formula of a rectangular prism is: Length * Width * Depth = Volume. If the volume is already set at 100 cubic inches, we can obtain from the formula the greatest value for length if we set the lowest values for width and depth. Theoretically, both the width and depth may each be 1 inch, and the length 100 inches; thus the correct answer is A.
38) What is the following number in the series?
Each term is double the previous term.
39) Jade is 9 years older than Rose. In 4 years’ time, Jade’s age will be double Rose's age. What are their ages today?
All the information given is based on the relation between Jade’s age and Rose’s age. Let's denote Jade’s age by X and Rose’s age by Y. "Jade is 9 years older than Rose " – we can translate this information into an equation. X= Y+9 Unfortunately, an equation with two variables is not solvable unless we have another equation. "In 4 years’ time, Jade’s age will be double Rose's age" - the second sentence also represents a relation. It means that in 4 years Jade's age will be X+4 and will be double Rose's age, which will be Y+4. Look at the equation : X+4=2(Y+4) Now we have two different equations with 2 variables. The first variable (X) is isolated in the first equation so we can insert its value in the second equation by denoting X as an expression of Y.
40) How many of the five pairs listed below are exact duplicates?
Only names in row 4 are not the same
41) Which THREE choices are needed to create the figure on the left? Only pieces of the same color may overlap.
Please select 3 correct answers
If you place figures A, B, and E one on top of the other, the figure on the left is created. In order to find the correct solution quickly, ask yourself the following question: Ask yourself which figures cannot be a part of the solution? Option C cannot be a part of the solution because it has a red tile on the top right instead of a green tile. Option D seems like the right option to start with, but when assembled with other figures there are some blank tiles left. If it is assembled with A and B, it leaves the tile on the bottom left, which supposed to be blue, blank. If it is assembled with B and E, it leaves the upper right tile, which is supposed to be blue, blank. If it assembled with A and E, it will leave the center right tile, which supposed to be red, blank. Therefore, it cannot be a part of the solution. The only options left are A, B and E.
42) After folding these squares into a closed cube, which shaded corner would touch the corner “X”?
43) As a cold front approaches, the weather forecast over the next 5 days calls for the following temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit: 12, 5, 18, 8, 2. Which graph below best represents the temperature over this 5 day period?
44) Which THREE choices are needed to create the figure on the left? Only pieces of the same color may overlap.
Please select 3 correct answers
45) After folding these squares into a closed cube, which shaded corner would touch the corner “X”?
46) The sixth month of the year is
The sixth month of the year is June.
47) SCRUPULOUS is the opposite of
Scrupulous is a word used to describe someone who is punctual and precise, while negligent is a word used to describe someone who is lazy and careless.
48) Does DIY mean "do it yourself"?
DIY is the acronym for “do it yourself
49) ANTECEDE PRECEDE The meanings of these words are:
To antecede and precede both mean to go before something.
50) How many of the five pairs listed below are exact duplicates?
Grinberg, A.L. and Havanos, B.G. are the two pairs which are exactly the same.
51) Arrange the following words so that they form a complete sentence. Is the rearranged sentence true or false?
The sentence is: Winter and summer are not seasons, which is false.
52) If the first two statements are true, is the final statement true? 1. Black haired people are kind. ; 2. I am kind ; 3. I have black hair.
According to the first statement we know that black haired people are kind. However, this does not indicate that all kind people have black hair. Therefore we cannot know for sure if the third statement is true.
53) Oranges are to fruits as _______ are to shapes.
To solve this questions correctly, it is necessary to understand the relationship between X and Y (oranges and fruits). Creating a sentence with the first pair of words and applying it to the second pair is a useful method for solving this type of question. Thus, we should phrase a sentence to define what X is to Y. Oranges are a specific kind of fruit. Now, we can try to apply this relation to shapes: A) Angles are a specific kind of shape. B) Dimensions are a specific kind of shape. C) Dots are a specific kind of shape. D) Rulers are a specific kind of shape. E) Triangles are a specific kind of shape.
54) If 5 cookies cost $0.30, how much will 30 cookies cost?
Because 30 is 6 times more than 5, we also multiply the cost by 6, 0.3*6=1.80.
55) A train travels 100 feet every 2 seconds. How far will it travel in 36 seconds?
Since 36 seconds is 18 times more than 2 seconds, we multiply the distance traveled by 18, 100*18=1800, which does not appear in the answer choices.
56) What is the next number in the series? 24 28 32 36 40 44 ____
In the above series, each number in the sequence increases by 4. Therefore the next number will be 48, because 44+4=48.
57) Ariel, Alex, and Dana form a business agreement in which Ariel receives 20% of profits, Alex receives 70% of profits, and Dana receives the remaining 10%. The total profits for the month of June were $6,600. How much more would Dana receive if the profits were divided equally?
Per the current agreement, Dana receives 10% of $6,600, which is $6,600*0.10 = $660. If the profits were divided equally among all three people, Dana would have received one-third of the total profits, which is $6,600/3=$2,200. Therefore Answer: A – Per the current agreement, Dana receives 10% of $6,600, which is $6,600* 0.10 = $660. If the profits were divided equally among all three people, Dana would have received one-third of the total profits, which is $6,600*/3=$2,200. Therefore, she would have made $2,200-$660= $1,540 more if the profits were divided equally.
58) Find which of the answer choices would go in the last place in the top box of circles.
59) Choose the image that completes the pattern.
Each square contains three shapes. The black circle is the only shape that constantly appears. It “travels” along the column, up and down, one step at a time. The other shapes appear in two consecutive squares and then do not appear in the next square. The shape that remains in the frame (in regards to the last step from the left) maintains its relative position to the other shape (not the circle).
60) From the options available, please choose which diagram would come next in the series.
61) From the options available, please choose which diagram would come next in the series.
62) Choose the image that completes the pattern: Which of the shapes below continues the sequence?
All triangles “move” slightly counter-clockwise and outside. A good solving tip would be to try and disassemble the complete figure to its elements (triangles) and to focus each time on one of the elements.
63) Choose the image that completes the pattern: Which of the shapes below continues the sequence?
The logic: An X shape is dotted with black and white dots. Both sets of dots are independent and follow a similar pattern. In each frame, a black dot is added counter-clockwise in the angles of the X shape, until all the angles are occupied. Then a dot is reduced, also counterclockwise. The same pattern occurs with the white dots, only in a clockwise manner. Examining the changes before and after, the “question mark" figure should look the same as in frame 2, only with an additional black dot (making all four black dots present) and an additional white dot in the upper right corner, as determined by the pattern.
64) Choose the image that completes the pattern: Which of the shapes below continues the sequence?
The logic: The next frame after each step portrays a mirror image of the previous frame. In addition, every two steps a shape is added to the frame. Answer choice 3 is a mirrored version of frame 5 and is therefore the correct answer.
65) Choose the image that completes the pattern: Which of the shapes below continues the sequence?
The sketch is built stage by stage and in each step an additional line is added. This guideline eliminates answer choices 1, 2 and 4. Notice also that the new line never touches the last line added, which eliminates answer choice 5.
Please share this quiz to view your results.