1) While you are doing the tractor protection valve test in a double-triple trailer, you noticed that it is not working properly. What do you think is the result of a failed protection valve?
C. The trailer brake or air hose could drain all the air from the tractor causing emergency brakes to come on. It would also possibly lead to loss of control.
2) A converter dolly is a coupling device used to connect doubles and triples. It has a ring hitch on the front and a ______ on top.
B. Fifth Wheel
3) The emergency brakes of the triple trailer came on. What caused this to happen?
A. Loss of air pressure in the emergency line causes the emergency brakes to come on.
4) What to do to prevent trailers from rolling over?
C. You can prevent rollovers by slowing down and stay alert. Obeying the speed limit can prevent you from getting any trailer accident.
5) When making the visual inspection, the dolly converter should have no space between the lower and upper fifth wheel.
A. True. It is a must that the dolly converter should have NO space between the lower and upper fifth wheel. The locking jaws are closed on the kingpin
6) In testing the emergency brakes, what is the next thing you need to do after charging the trailer brake system and making sure that the trailer moves freely?
B. The next thing you need to do is to stop and pull out the trailer air supply control or place it in the emergency position. Finally, you can pull gently on the trailer using the tractor to make sure the trailer emergency brakes are on
7) Before coupling, how can you ensure that the height of the trailer is correct?
A. The trailer must be slightly raised when the dolly is pushed under. In that case, the height of the trailer should be a bit higher than the center of the fifth wheel.
8) Danny is uncoupling the converter dolly, but while the dolly is still under the rear trailer, the dolly tow bar flew up. Luckily, no one was injured. But what's the reason why did the tow bar fly up?
C. When uncoupling, always remember not to unlock the pintle hook while the dolly is still under the rear trailer because the dolly tow bar may be accidentally detached and will lead to injury.
9) In locking the _______, simply pull out the air supply knob or move the tractor protection valve control from normal to emergency.
B. In locking the trailer brakes simply pull out the air supply knob or move the tractor protection valve control from normal to emergency.
10) Which of the following statements about offtracking is not true.
C. Offtracking is when a vehicle goes around a corner, the rear wheels follow a DIFFERENT path than the front wheels.
11) The trailer most likely to turn over in a double/triple combination is the middle trailer.
B. False. Because the last trailer is the trailer that has the greatest possibility to turn over.
12) Heavily loaded trucks have:
Please select 2 correct answers
Both A and D. Trucks with heavy loads have shorter stopping time and a low possibility to jackknife. However, they take a longer time to stop when they are lightly loaded or empty.
13) Is it true that converter dollies often do not have spring brakes?
A. Yes. Converter dollies often do not have spring brakes.
14) When inspecting the fifth wheel, make sure the trailer _____ is not bent or broken
A. When inspecting the fifth wheel, always make sure that the trailer kingpin is not bent or broken. Failed kingpin will cause the mechanism to also fail resulting in a runaway truck trailer.
15) The trailer with the heaviest cargo should be placed in what position?
C. For safety reasons, a trailer carrying light cargo should be positioned in the rear while trailer carrying heavy loads should be positioned right behind the tractor.
16) What should you do if you are about to load cargo into double or triple trailers?
A. When loading cargo into double or triple trailers, always keep the cargo as close to the ground as possible in every trailer.
17) Pintle hook is used when:
B. Pintle hook plays part in coupling and uncoupling converter trailers and dollies. It is mounted on the rear of tractors and trailers.
18) John is checking the air flow to all trailers. When he opens the emergency line shut-off valve, he hears the air escaping. The same thing happened when he opened the service line valve. What does this mean?
B. When John hear air escaping from both lines, this means that the entire system is charged. If he does not hear air escaping from both lines, he should check if the shut-off valves on the trailer(s) and dolly are open. He must have air all the way to the back for all the brakes to work.
19) Peter is driving a truck, suddenly he made a quick lane change. The back trailer swung around sideways into the next trailer. What can you suggest to during this trouble?
A. Quick lane change may cause the trailer to swing sideways, the same thing will happen when going around a corner or curve in the road. This is known as jackknife. During this situation, Peter should slow down and release brakes to get traction back. But it is better to do a maintenance check ahead of driving to avoid this problem.
20) Which statement is not true about the additional check of a landing gear.
B. Step B is for is for checking the air brakes.
21) The control valve allows you to open and shut the tractor _______. This will close automatically if air pressure is low.
A. Protection valve can be open and shut through the control valve. by the time the protection valve closes due to low air pressure, it will stop any air from going out of the tractor
22) What do you call a coupling device of 1 or 2 axles and a fifth wheel?
B. A converter gear on a dolly is a coupling device of one or two axles and a fifth wheel by which a semitrailer can be coupled to the rear of a tractor-trailer combination forming a double bottom rig.
23) Abram is driving a 200-foot triple at speed ranging from 35 mph. What is the minimum amount of space that he should keep ahead of him?
C. Abram should keep a minimum amount of 20 seconds ahead of him. Large trucks need additional space between vehicles to allow for safe braking and unexpected actions. In crashes, large trucks most often hit the vehicle in front of them.
24) All items below are 3 different braking systems EXCEPT:
B. There is no such low pressure brake system
25) When coupling tractor to trailer or trailer to trailer, safety chains, light cords, and landing gear must be connected.
B. False. When coupling tractor to trailer or trailer to trailer, safety chains, light cords, and air hose must be connected. Landing gear has nothing to do with those three.
Please share this quiz to view your results.