PARCC Noun Practice Quiz
1. It will take all of your energy and will to be able to walk again.
1. D: Energy is a noun, as is will here. Take (A) is a verb. All (B) is an adverb modifying take. Your (C) is an adjective modifying energy and will.
2. The works of many great poets have been placed on reserve.
2. D: Reserve is the only noun of the choices. Many (A) and great (B) are adjectives modifying the noun poets. Placed (C) is a verb.
3. The Brooklyn Bridge was opened in 1883.
3. A: Bridge is a proper noun here. Was (B) is the auxiliary verb for the past perfect tense of the verb opened (C). In (D) is a preposition.
4. Sparta and Athens were enemies during the Peloponnesian War.
4. D: War is a proper noun here. And (A) is a conjunction. Were (B) is a verb. During (C) is a preposition.
5. Sharks and lampreys are not true fish because their skeletons are made of cartilage rather than bone.
5. D: Bone is a noun. True (A) is an adjective modifying the noun fish. Because (B) is a conjunction. Their (C) is a plural possessive third-person pronoun modifying the noun skeletons.
6. Joe, have you met your new boss?
6. D: Boss is a noun. Have (A) is the auxiliary verb for the present perfect tense of the verb met (B). Your (C) is a possessive second-person pronoun modifying the noun boss.
7. Sue's parents tried living in the north, but they could not adapt to the cold.
7. A: North is a noun here. But (B) is a conjunction. Not (C) is an adverb modifying the verb adapt (D).
8. Mastering basic mathematics is an important goal for younger students.
8. D: Students is a plural noun. NOTE: Mastering (A) is a gerund, i.e. a verb form functioning as a noun. But since (D) is already a noun, it is the better choice. Important (B) is an adjective modifying the noun goal. Younger (C) is an adjective modifying the noun students.
9. To seize a foreign embassy and its inhabitants is flagrant disregard for diplomatic neutrality.
9. D: Neutrality is a noun. Seize (A) is a verb. Its (B) is a possessive pronoun modifying the noun inhabitants. Flagrant (C) is an adjective modifying the noun disregard.
10. The Trojans' rash decision to accept the wooden horse led to their destruction.
10. D: Destruction is a noun. Their (A) is a plural possessive pronoun modifying destruction. Led (B) and accept (C) are verbs.
Please share this quiz to view your results .