PARCC Grade 6 ELA Practice Test Questions
1. What is the setting for this story?
1. B: This story is set at a homeless shelter.
2. If you were describing this story, what classification would you use?
2. A: This story is written in the style of a memoir, as evidenced by the first-person, reflective tone.
3. In paragraph 9, what does the word "stereotype" mean?
3. C offers the best definition of "stereotype" as it is used in paragraph 9.
4. What point of view is used to tell this story?
4. A: This story is written in first person. That means the author is involved in the events of the story and is telling it from his point of view.
5. What is the main theme of this story?
5. D: The main theme of the story is that homelessness is everybody's problem. One clue that this is the main point of the story is that the author clearly states it in the last line of the story. It's not always true that the last line of a short piece contains the main point, but that is often the case.
6. Part A: What does the author compare the potatoes to in paragraph 3?
6. Part A: C: In paragraph 3 the author uses a simile to compare the size of the pile of potatoes to Mt. Everest.
6. Part B: Based on your answer in Part A why does he make that comparison?
Part B: In the story he says that, "They rose from the tray like Mt. Everest.", which would lead the reader to believe they were piled really high.
7. Which of the following items was not included in the Thanksgiving dinner at the shelter?
7. B: Cranberry sauce was not served as part of the Thanksgiving dinner at the shelter.
8. What major event in the life of Chris's family led to their homelessness?
8. D: The death of Chris's dad was the major problem the family had to deal with that eventually led to the their homelessness.
9. Part A: What do you think the author's primary purpose was in telling this story?
9. Part A: A: The author's intention in writing this piece is to persuade the reader to do something about homelessness.
9. Part B: Which paragraph from the story best supports your answer in Part A?
Part B: D: Paragraph 1 does the best job of explaining why the author is writing this story.
10. Which of the following is the best summary of this story?
10. B is the most complete and accurate summary of the story.
11. Which of the following is Ben most likely to do in the future as a result of meeting Chris at The Lighthouse?
11. D is the best choice because the last paragraph of the story indicates that Ben is likely to serve at a homeless shelter again soon.
Please share this quiz to view your results .