CDL Cost Varies By License Type And Location, Learn More!
As you start to consider entering the trucking industry, it’s important to take note of the financial investment involved. One of the things you should find out is: how much does a CDL cost? Finding out how much the cost will be can help you prepare sufficient finance.
How much does it cost to get a CDL license?
CDL school cost and CDL training cost will vary between different school options and various parts of the country. Rather than charging every week or semester, most schools charge one lump sum for the entire course. The total cost is typically around $3,000 to $7,000 for the whole program. The cost depends on whether you are getting a class A, class B, or class C CDL license. The more time you need to spend on training, the more you should prepare on spending on tuition.
When you start training for your CDL, you are hired and paid as a full-time employee since day one. You’ll be paid for your travel to the terminals, cover your lodging and meals while you train and obtain your CDL. CDL training usually lasts about seven weeks, running five days per week, and is available in various locations.
Class A CDL programs tend to last longer than Class B and C as Class A allows you to drive a wider variety of trucks and take on larger loads. However, before you could get a CDL license, you must first obtain a commercial learner’s permit (CLP). CLP fee varies for each state and type of license, which is valid for up to 180 days. Once you have got your CLP, you will also need to pay fees to complete your CDL testing, which includes written test fee, skills test fee, processing fee, and license fee (for license term of 3 years).
CDL test cost may vary by license type and location. Below are the DMV CDL test cost of Connecticut:
|General Knowledge Test||$16|
|CDL Endorsement Costs (each)||$5|
|CLP, Modify||No Fee|
|CLP, Duplicate (replacement)||$10|
|CDL, Change State of Record
|Variable ($70 or $87.50)|
|CDL, Duplicate (replacement)||$30|
|CDL, Modify||No Fee|
|CDL, Renewal||$70 for a four-year renewal|
|CDL, Renewal Late Fee||$25|
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I know before trying to get my CDL license?
Before you try getting a CDL license, make sure you meet have the following requirements to make the process faster and smoother:
- Existing non-commercial driver’s license
- Must be 18 years or older; 21 years or older to drive across state lines or haul hazardous materials
- Must have 1 to 2 years of driving experience and a good driving record
- No criminal record
- Proof of citizenship
- Must be able to read and speak English
- Must have a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate and meets physical and medical standards
How Much Does A Class A CDL Cost?
Every state set their own requirements and cost to get CDL. Fees to get a Class A CDL includes:
- Knowledge Test – $5 to $20 (which may include the issuance of CLP, although some have separate fees for CLP)
- Road Skills Test – $30 to $60
- Standard CDL License – $75 to $100 (some states may charge more)
- Endorsements – $5 to $10 for each endorsement (may include additional knowledge and skills tests)
How much does training for CDL license cost in Florida?
Normally, CDL training in Florida should cost somewhere between $2,500 and $4,500. There is normally a $500 difference in pricing between competing truck driving schools in the same general location.
How much does CDL cost in Texas?
You may refer to the table when obtaining your CDL license in Texas:
|New: 18 to 84 years old||$61|
|Renewal: 18 to 84 years old||$61|
|New: 85 years and older||$26|
|Renewal: 85 years and older||$26|
|Replacement of lost, stolen, or damaged CDL||$11|
|Change address or name||$11|
|Add or remove endorsements or restrictions||$11|
|Original – Commercial Learners Permit (CLP)||$25|
|Renewal – Commercial Learners Permit (CLP)||$25|
|Motorcycle with CDL: New (add to CDL fee)||$15|
|Motorcycle with CDL: Renewal (add to CDL renewal fee)||$8|
|Add motorcycle to existing CDL||$16|
(For non-U.S. residents)
|Temporary non-domicile CDL
(For non-U.S. residents)
|CDL for individuals registered under Texas Sex Offender
- CDL Practice Test 2021 Prep & Training – Class A, B, C – Commercial Drivers License
- Highest CDL Jobs Near Me – Earn Up to $70,000 A Year – Truck Driver Jobs
- Enroll In CDL Classes & Training Online Here
- Master Driving Class A And Class B Vehicles, Enroll In A CDL School Now!
- Paid CDL Training Near Me – %98 Pass CDL Test With Us
- CDL Cost Varies By License Type And Location, Learn More!
- Learn What It Takes To Get A CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Now
- Ace The CDL Air Brakes Test 2021
- Learn Everything You Need To Know And More With Our CDL Manual!
- Need A Complete List Of All The CDL Requirements? Check Out This List!
- Sign Up For Class A, B, And C CDL Classes Today!
- Looking To Submit Your Local CDL Job Application? You’ve Come To The Right Place!